www.flickr.com
james forlife's items Go to james forlife's photostream

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dunedin to Kikoura is a F&%$#*! LONG WAY (Apr 16 - 18)

We woke up and got started pretty early, finished breakfast at about 9am and left. We wanted to get an early start because we knew there was a long road ahead of us. We wanted to go up the Otago Peninsula, see Baldwin St (steepest residential street in the world) and the Dunedin Railway Station, then on to Kikoura.

With only 1 stop for food, and 1 for toilet, we got into Kikoura at around 7:45-8pm. We didn't do anything else that day. The hostel we were staying in, Dolphin Lodge, was pretty nice, I always like hostels with fire places, even if it's not too cold. So we chilled and stayed in that night, I had to book my bus back to Christchurch so I could fly out on the 19th. I decided to go whale watching as well, just as a last hoorah, and it's the only thing to do in Kikoura (beautiful place, just nothing free to do). It wasn't too expensive and it turned out to be well worth the money. I had to reschedule my bus, as we could only get the latest whale watching tour, but that is free with the ticket I had so it was alright. The plan was to arrive in Christchurch the day before my flight and sleep in the airport that night so I wouldn't miss my flight.

The whale watching was AWESOME, we saw three Sperm Whales (at least the tails and some of the head/back), some Dusky Dolphines, Albatross, and some seals. I'm really glad I did it and it was a pretty nice send off. We met some (more) German girls who came along with us, Jessica and Felli (I think..or Falli..). They were pretty cool, I ended up getting a ride with them to Christchurch that night instead of having to take the bus the next day. So as most plans do, mine failed and I had to scavenge for some accomadation for that night and the next day. I eventually found something so it turned out fine.

After we left the whale watching it started to rain heavily, and we had to walk all the way back to the hostel, so that wasn't fun. Now I have a bunch of wet clothes to deal with before I leave in the morning. The drive to Christchurch was pretty rainy as well, but we survived. These girls were pretty cool, Jessica loved reggea which was funny, and they were both au pairs working in the North Island I believe, taking a short vacation.

Thanks for the ride girls~!

Now I'm in Christchurch, writting up my last blog posts before I head off to Perth tomorrow morning.

Christchurch edit: I just walked around Christchurch, doing various business, man it is very sad, but things are still going along which is good. One street will look fine, then the next is completely demolished with a "EXTREME DANGER ZONE" sign infront of it. Decided not to take too many pics (only 1), just because it's just rubble and I'm sure you all know what rubble looks like. Stay strong CHCH, I'm sure you'll be back in tip top shape in no time!

Peace & Love

No comments: