www.flickr.com
james forlife's items Go to james forlife's photostream

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Coral Bay, yabba (Oct 28 - Nov 1)

Prior to leaving for Coral Bay I spoke with another guy I met from Geraldton, Dan, and he mentioned that he would be going up to Exmouth via Coral Bay. So I thought great, I'll just catch a ride with him from Coral Bay and go and see Exmouth. After a few days I realised that he wasn't coming, I didn't really put an effort forward to get in contact with him though, but it would have been cool if he just showed up and we had a roadtrip to Exmouth.

Luckily I quickly forgot about Dan after meeting the three Swedish girls who were staying in my room. When they introduced themselves I thought it sounded familiar, then I remember reading an ad on Gumtree (a website used for various things, ride shares, jobs, etc) about three Swedish girls looking for a ride to Broome and sure enough it was them. So that was a good conversation starter. Also - they obviously outlined right off the bat that they were THREE SWEDISH GIRLS looking for a ride north. I ended up hanging out with them quite a bit going to the beach, going out etc, pretty fun times. One night we ended up at a beach party and one guy was basically a beach party in himself. He had a sweet fire spinning set up and was doing that, I brought this dude that I met who runs the quad bikes and he was a much better fire spinner, we were also freestyling and just doing general gangster shit. I started conversing with him because he had a Fresh Prince shirt on so the whole night we were singing the Fresh Prince song and yelling PRAISE THE FRESH PRINCE - hilarious times.

I didn't just party it up and lounge on the beach while I was in CORAL Bay, I actually did some snorkelling and saw some really cool marine life. I went on a snorkelling tour for $50 and it was well worth it. We saw all kinds of different fish and coral (some 1000 year old coral) as well as turtles and sharks. Our guide brought us to a spot called a "shark cleaning station" this is where reef sharks go to get their teeth cleaned. They swim around this area with their mouths open and small fish swim inside and eat all the guts and stuff out of their teeth...then swim back out again! It was really funny to see, it actually kind of "normalized" sharks for me, showing me they have at least some control over their constant lust for blood. These were just small grey reef sharks anyway, they were pretty afraid of us. I also went to a shark nursery, where the mother shark leaves her babies to learn how to hunt and eat - it was just a small secluded bay, you weren't really meant to go in or else the mother shark would stop leaving her babies there. But I did a handstand in there regardless *Kanye shrug*.

The girls ended up finding a ride with a dude originally from NSW, I stumbled upon this one day as I came into the room. All I heard was...Oh ya I might be able to find you girls in...damn it, if I was in there and they weren't I could have secured that ride. He had a tiny car though and these girls had three huge suitcases, so I was still holding on to the idea that they just wouldn't fit and I'd be subbed in. But being blonde blue-eyed girls from Sweden kind of makes dudes make anything happen (sidebar: and he was trying to fit the suitcases in, I was hovering to see if it would work, he goes "Can you help me squeeze these bags over..." I turned and straight up said "No...why would I help you fit their bags in? I don't want this to work").

So anyway, they set off in the morning, one in the front and two squeezed in between the window and half the middle seat. I had a pretty nice night after they left, sometimes getting away from the people you've been hanging out with, even if only for a few days, feels very good. You don't want to get stuck hanging out with the same people all the time, or else you'd just stay home with your real friends. I ended up taking the bus to Broome the next day for $158AUS, which is cheaper than I heard it was going to be - I was told it would be closer to $250AUS so that was ok.

The bus ride took about 20 hours, but if you've been reading my blog you know I'm a professional at sleeping on long journeys. So I watched Rambo 1 and 2 (effin AWESOME movies - I didn't know they were so deep, I thought it was just killing like Rambo 4, but they take you on an emotional journey), after the movies I just slept. There isn't much scenery between Coral Bay and Broome, mostly just flat desert and shrubs to see. You can tell when a creek or a small river is coming up though because suddenly there will be trees and then you see the water then more trees..... and then back to desert. Midway through the bus drivers changed from two dudes to this lady - and for some reason she had a REALLY bad attitude (I cleaned that up from what I wrote in my journal), she was threatening to leave people behind if they got off the bus and yelling at people - wasn't cool at all.

Basically it was a pretty poor bus ride but I made it to Broome safely so it was alright.

Peace & Love




No comments: