www.flickr.com
james forlife's items Go to james forlife's photostream

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Broome Broome~ (Nov 2 - Nov 6)

I arrived in Broome with no clue of where to go, where any hostels were, basically without any kind of useful information - and it was also around 7pm so all the places that could have given me some guidance were closed. So I hopped off the bus fully convinced I'd have to spend the night on the streets of Broome until I could find a visitors centre or something to find out where things are. Luckily the bus dropped us off not too far from a McDonalds, which means free internet. So I nonchalantly walked over like this was my plan all along, sat down and found the nearest hostel.

The next step was finding my way around, carrying my bags, at night with crazy Aboriginals wandering around everywhere. So I just headed off in what I thought was the right direction, then had to double back and start going in the real right direction, and I ended up just asking the drunkest guy where the hostel was - he checked all the backpacker boxes, long hair, rags around his ankles, unwashed, very drunk. Turns out he was actually one of the managers at the hostel I was going to stay in, so I walked and he stumbled all the way together - bonus.

On the way I saw the Swedish girls hanging at a bus stop drinking with Luke, I stopped and chatted for a bit then went to go check in. After that initial adventure I didn't really do much for the rest of my time there just went to Cable Beach a few times, supposedly one of the top 10 beaches in the world.. it was pretty nice, then just drinking and lounging by the pool. Broome is really humid so I stayed in the water most of the time and the hostel I stayed in (Kimberley Klub) was very nice, it was YHA so no surprises there, extremely clean and nice people.

I eventually found a ride to Darwin, just a posting in the hostel offering 2 seats to Darwin, with an English guy named Matt who was also taking a German girl named Berit or Berry. Matt had been in Broome for a few months (3 I think) working as a camel tour guide, he basically just walked with the people as they road the camels along the beach, probably the best job ever. So on his last night his friends had a beach party, there were other things going on as well I think a birthday and maybe some other people leaving as well. That was pretty fun, sitting out on Cable Beach watching the moon and just chilling under the stars. Made for a wonderful end to my time in Broome.

No comments: